Thursday, October 06, 2005

Personal Space

This blog comes about after a discussion with Kal one evening, we were talking about driving and how that he found it easy to get used to the space needed to park and manoeuvre his truck (when he was out driver training). I said that it was because he was a man..........I got the feeling that I might be walking into a mine field considering I have several female friends and colleagues who drive and park their Ambulances better than some of their male associates. I felt that I needed to take this discussion further as to allay any possible fears that I was being chauvinistic.

I feel that men, in general, have more awareness of personal space and dimensions because of the fact that when you grow up as a boy, you are more likely to have to build and improvise toys (i.e. the Cardboard box turned into a tank/ship/fire truck) by either sitting in it and pretending you are somewhere else or running rope through some holes and using then to support the weight of the box so you can run around with it..... therefore learning that you can fit into a space or that if you turn quickly you may knock over something and feel the wrath of your mother because you have made a mess in the living room etc

Women on the other hand are used to playing predominantly in a rigid structure (Wendy house, etc) and are therefore more used to space being set for them and not having to manoeuvre something in confined spaces...........

Well dear readers, what do you think to my theory?

2 comments:

Digitalkatie said...

I think you need an electronic slap! Oh, hang on, I'm a girlie so I'll probably miss ;-)

Nursie999 said...

interesting!